Friday, August 1, 2008

PC portraits?

Hey guys, here's a couple sites that have some PC portraits, if you wanted to give the other players a more visual idea of what you look like. I myself am interested in how you see yourselves... especially Neveah, the Gold Elf Ranger, as Gold Elves tend be racist, haughty, and prefer clean robes and such... much like the Noldor elves of Lothlórien in The Lord of the Rings mythos... so it would be interesting to see how a Gold Elf Ranger would look.

If you let me know via comment or MSN (hugh_g@hotmail.com), I can print out a copy in colour, and even size it if you wanted to attach it to the appropriate box on your character sheet.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/pc
http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/baldursgate1/portraits_01.shtml

That's just to get you started, there's a ton of fantasy art out there...

Brandur, I can see you having a bit more trouble finding something, as you're a non-standard race... although kobolds are pretty popular these days. I always liked the kobold from the 2e Monstrous Manual:

9 comments:

Brandur said...

As much as I love the 2nd edition depiction of kobalds, it was the only edition to depict them as rat-dog mammalians. Kobalds in 1st, 3rd, and 4th edition are physically similar, but reptilian. A kobald wizard is depicted under the monstrous characters section of one of the links you provided.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/pc_portraits/jan2007/104694mkobolddragonshaman.jpg

Wee Shuggy said...

That's why I like 'em... they were little dog men, yipping and using dog pack tactics. Better than wingless tiny dragonmen, imho.

I think I just hate dragons. As much as I love cliched fantasy tropes, for whatever reason I see dragons as played out.

Kevin said...

Can I put a pic of me wearing nothing but speedos? Or would that ruin the theme of the game?

Wee Shuggy said...

Please don't tell me it's an actual photo.

Kevin said...

Print out those Power cards for me, beeatch!

Wee Shuggy said...

The colour LJ printer by my desk is out of toner... I'll try to get you a comprehensive copy (levels 1-30), but I may not get it in time before I lose access to the colour printer (Aug 18th).

Brandur said...

Kobalds always acted like yipping dog-men, 2nd ed was just the only one where they looked the part. The "wingless tiny dragonmen" statement doesn't really ring true either- while dragons are a fairly integral part of kobald creation myth, they don't in the least resemble dragons. Dragons are depicted as wide-muzzled with large upper jaws, where kobalds have very narrow muzzles and small upper jaws. Also, the bony ridges on a dragon's head sweep backwards from their crest and are very long, while a kobald has no crest, the ridges are short, go straight up, and resemble horns. My love of kobalds is a reptile race thing (<3<3<3), not a dragon thing.

Wee Shuggy said...

I thought they retconned kobolds in 3E to actually be descended from dragons genetically (dragonblood subtype), which is why classed kobolds gravitated towards the sorcerer class.

Brandur said...

That wasn't a retcon so much as an expansion. Kobalds civilization was never even mentioned prior to 3rd edition, they were just stooge minions that always worked for someone bigger and were never seen again after level 3. In the 3rd ed MM, they mention that kobalds are frequently Sorcerers, and that the kobalds claim this is because they have some sort of racial draconic heritage. A Dragon magazine printed during the 3.5 era gave them an 'Ecology Of...' article that was very thorough.

4th edition hasn't mentioned anything directly about the races being related, only that kobald tribes worship dragons. The MM says that they camp near dragon lairs so that they can gives offerings to it (although one type of kobald does get resistance 5 to whatever element the dragon he follows is resistant to).